Deepwells was built in approximately 1845 for Joel L.G. Smith (1819-1875), a descendant of Richard “Bull” Smith, founder of Smithtown. He bought the Deepwells property from Gamaliel Taylor, who was also a member of the Smith family. The property was a working farm of just under 50 acres, bisected by North Country Road. There were several out buildings, including barns and other structures, on the property which are no longer existing. There are a few buildings that remain standing including a small frame well house and a laundry garage built in the nineteenth century, as well as the Caretakers House located on the corner of Moriches and North Country Road. The Caretakers House is now owned by the Village of Head of The Harbor. Check out our upcoming events!